I hate writing personal bios. Firstly, they usually need to be written in the third person, which seems a bit false. Jen would never talk about herself that way, so why would she write about herself that way? (See what I mean? Awkward). Sometimes it almost feels like blowing your own trumpet as well, as you harp on about your awards, experiences, and education. Alas, it is one of those necessities of a writer, and indeed in many other professions too.
So how do you write a good bio? Here’s a few quick things to think about:
- What is the purpose of this bio? Is it a one liner to add to a byline? Is it to show your expertise on a particular subject?
- Know your audience
- Think about what defines you
- Keep it to the appropriate length
- If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
- Don’t make it a CV
- Add humour if appropriate
Got any tips or example bios you want to share? Would love to hear from you. Inspire me!